As I have mentioned, every business and business person struggles with making sales. Reaching a business goal, launching new products, negotiating deals and representing the company positively are all additional challenges facing the thought leaders of every business. Needless to say, every business could use help overcoming these challenges. Hypnosis could be a tool use to open up new roads to success.
Recently I sat down with Valerie Grimes, Clinical Hypnotist at The Flow Center in Dallas, Texas, to review with her a few outstanding points she made in her recent blog, HYPNOSIS IS THE SECRET WEAPON WHEN IT COMES TO SALES SUCCESS. This is Part 2 on my interview with review.
Conscious Use vs. Subconscious Use
Valerie continued her thought on the use of conscious and subconscious. The Conscious Mind’s (CM) function is to analyze incoming information, it also works to apply logic and reasoning to what you are experiencing and makes a judgment as to whether to accepts or rejects the incoming information. Remember what it is called?
The THINKER. The Subconscious Mind’s (SCM) function avoids pain, likes pleasure, stores all your feelings, emotions and memories as well as your habits and beliefs. It is called THE DOER. The are designed to work in concert this way: the CM has a thought, and the SCM’s job is to carry it out, it is supposed to work as intended, however the success of that depend on the programming of the SCM.
Keep in mind the SCM is a goal driven mechanism and it will carry out whatever is programmed into it. Sometimes we have success; sometimes we fail. Think of a time when you were devoted to exercise more, quit smoking, eat healthier, get more organized, be more motivated, or be a more patient driver…How long did it last?
What happened? For a period of several weeks, it is easy for us to give a new function our focus and concentration. However, something usually happens to distract our focus and we fall back into our regular patterns of behavior, we feel we have failed. This condition has nothing to do with your willpower; it has everything to do with the inability of the SCM to carry it out based on the information stored there (in the SCM).
There are three laws of mind that you must understand in order to bring about changes.
- Law of Concentrated Attention.
- Principle is based on putting concentrated attention on an idea over and over again until it spontaneously tends to realize it self.
- Law of Dominant Effect.
- Principle is based on your mind’s ability to only focus on one attitude at a time, positive or negative. Strong emotions replace weaker ones. Attach a strong emotion to a suggestion for the dominant effect.
- Law of Reversed Effect.
- Principle is based on the fact that the harder you try to do something consciously the lesser the affect, it is the job of the SCM to carry out actions, so relaxing, not effecting allows the desired effect.
Why Hypnosis is a Secret Weapon
Valerie continued with saying, Hypnosis gets the idea into the SCM much more rapidly and without all the memorization exercises. Think of your favorite vacation spot, hold image in your mind, while closing your eyes.
Open up and feel your senses: the visuals, the sounds, the aromas, and the physical sensations. Know notice how good you feel. Now think about doing your taxes? What happened to the feeling? Principle is based on your mind’s ability to only focus on one attitude at a time, positive or negative.
Purpose: Your mind can’t hold to opposing attitudes. It is helpful to know and why hypnosis is a secret weapon: Hypnosis creates a stronger desire for what you want to focus on and how you want to feel.
BELIEF VS. HABIT VS. THOUGHT
Valerie went on to define more on how Hypnosis works to help with a business’ sales…First allow me to define these then I will show the role they currently play in sales and how they can be transformed through hypnosis to play a newer and more productive role. Belief-
- a state or habit of mind in which trust or confidence is placed in some person or thing
- something believed; especially: a tenet or body of tenets held by a group
- conviction of the truth of some statement or the reality of some being or phenomenon especially when based on examination of evidence
- to form or have in the mind
- to have as an intention <thought to return early>
- to have as an opinion <think it’s so>
- to regard as
- consider <think the rule unfair>
- a settled tendency or usual manner of behavior <her habit of taking a morning walk>
- an acquired mode of behavior that has become nearly or completely involuntary <got up early from force of habit>
Hypnosis is a powerful tool to access the subconscious mind and to reframe the original belief which then drives a new thought and a new resulting habit. A state of hypnosis is a natural and focused state where metaphors or guided imagery is used to enhance the desire for a new habit. Desire (emotion/attitude) drives behavior and a habit is a behavior.
Valerie wraps her thoughts with…
What we offer is businesses is our Personal Skills Training Program. It is unlike any sales training program anyone will ever encounter. We do not “motivate” individuals and stir them into a frenzy. We all know that wears off quickly and old, detrimental habits reappear. Neither do we teach a system or process.
Although a few “sales technique” programs offer some limited value, none address the true causes of under-performance. What we do is help people identify the obstacles in their subconscious minds that work against their sales efforts. Then—we help them diffuse or change those negative beliefs, opinions, habits and feelings into positive ones.
Valerie A. Grimes is a clinical hypnotist assisting individuals in achieving an optimum level of support through positive thinking and by teaching new habits and forming new beliefs available through the process of hypnosis. She blends centuries old hypnotic practices with modern day neuroscience. Her office is located at The Flow Center in Dallas. She can be reached at 972-974-2094